Online Course - Foundations of Food Security
(Last Updated on 27 May 2021)
Registration for the new cohort opens until 30 September 2022. Upon registration, students are allowed to study the course until 31 October 2022 at their own pace.
Despite the advancement in economic development and food technology, there are people living without the basic supply of sufficient and clean foods require for their physiological well-being. The World Food Summit of 1996 defined food security as existing “when all people, at all times, have physical, social and economic access to sufficient food which meets their dietary needs and food preferences for an active and healthy life”. This course introduces the factors affecting the sustainability of the contemporary food systems. It will also explain the consequences associated with food insecurity. Areas including technological advancement, economic drive, political stability, as well as socio-cultural influences will be analysed critically as insights to tackle the challenge of future food crisis.
Upon completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand in detail the definition and scope of food security and the factors influencing the modern food system
- Understand the physiological consequences associated with food insecurity
- Apply the understanding of food security to the analysis of global and local situations of food and nutrition supply
- Realise the global and local efforts tackling food insecurity
- Understand the importance of food safety and its role as an element of food security
The target audience includes those who are working in the field of promoting nutritional health in developing countries, or those who are studying subjects like food economy, food policy or other relevant disciplines. Individual who has basic knowledge in food or nutritional sciences may be of advantage to study this course.
As part of CCOUC’s knowledge transfer endeavour, this course is offered free of charge. There is limited quota for enrolment on a first-come-first-served basis.
Course Structure and Delivery Format
The course involves a total of 6 lessons, 5 short quizzes and one final assessment. Each lesson requires about 1.5 to 2 hours of study. All assessments are in the form of multiple-choice questions to be completed online with unlimited attempts. To progress through the course, students must obtain 80% or above in each short quiz. Students enrolled in the course may access all learning materials and go through all learning activities online within a maximum period of seven months. Topics covered in the course are as follows:
- Introduction to Food Security
- Food System in the 21st Century
- Factors Influencing the Food System
- Impact of Food Security on Human’s Health
- Different Standards about Food Security
- Ensuring Food Safety to Promote Food Security
Course Completion and Certification
Students who obtain 60% or above in the final assessment will be issued a printable certificate in recognition of completing the course.
To start studying the course now, please visit the course website at https://www.hkjcdpri.org.hk/d10-3-foundations-food-security
For units interested in promoting and recommending this course, please send an email to email@example.com for further information.